Kay Mine Community Updates
Kay Mine History:
- Prior to 1900: Kay Mine was discovered and mined on a small scale from the inclined No. 1 shaft, produced 635 tons
- 1918 to 1929: Kay Copper Company – deepened the No. 1 Shaft to 457 m (1,500 ft), sunk the No. 4 shaft to 366 m (1,200 ft), installed the No. 3 Shaft, and developed several thousand feet of underground workings on 11 levels, discovering the ore bodies above the 600 Level but produced no ore.
- 1949 to 1956: Various Mid-Century Operators – in 1949 Black Canyon Copper Corporation, opened the underground workings to the 500 Level and shipped about 907 tonnes (1,000 short tons) of ore. A cave-in destroyed pumping operations, and the mine was allowed to flood
- 1972 to 1974: Exxon Minerals – the project was acquired by Exxon Minerals Company in 1972 and explored by drilling and sampling until 1984.
- 2018 to present: Arizona Metals Corp – in September 2018, Arizona Metals Corp and has been exploring the Kay Mine through a combination of surface drilling, soil sampling, and geophysical surveys.
February 2022 Work Program:
Additional background information on the Kay Mine exploration program:
Kay Mine Road Work and Drilling Safety Contact:
Black Canyon Community Hotline: